Royal Randwick is one of Australia’s most famous racecourses and features the largest racetrack in New South Wales.
Crowne Plaza Coogee Bay is located nearby to Royal Randwick, one of the highlights of a visit to the eastern suburbs. Randwick Racecourse has upheld the tradition of racing in Australia for over 160 years. In 1992 the AJC was given the right to call it “Royal Randwick”. Today, the track is regarded as Sydney’s premier racing headquarters.
The Royal Randwick track hosts many of Australia’s most well known races including the Australian Derby and the highly anticipated Epsom Handicap. Two of the most important events on the racing calendar include the Autumn Racing Carnival and the Spring Racing Carnival.
During April and May, Randwick hosts the Autumn Racing Carnival which includes four Group 1 races including:
- Doncaster Handicap – A 1600m Open Handicap race worth $1.5 million.
- AJC Australian Derby – Worth $1.3 million, this is a set-weight race for 3 year olds over a 2400m distance.
- Sydney Cup – This 3200m race is an Open Handicap worth $400,000 in prize money.
- AJC Australian Oaks – The prestigious set-weight 2400m race for 3 year old fillies worth $350,000.
Royal Randwick’s Spring Racing Carnival also hosts a variety of Group 1 races starting in late September and concluding in October before the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival.
- George Main Stakes – This is a 1600m weight-for-age race worth $300,000.
- Epsom Handicap – This 1600m Handicap is for 3 year olds and older and is worth $350,000.
- The Metropolitan – Worth $350,000, this is also a handicap for 3 year olds and older over 2400m.
- Flight Stakes – A 1600m set-weight race for 3 year old fillies worth $300,000.